This article is on Riichi decision when you are dealer at East round.
Hi all, Thank you for checking this website ! I got a small advantage at East 3, and got Tenpai with the best tile. Riichi ?
Well I didn’t. Because 1. 3-6 or 4-7 is the worst Ryanmen wait and everyone seems to use Souzu: bamboo. So we can’t expect the opponents will discard 3-6s when I Riichi. 2. The value of 7,700 is quite high in this situation where everyone has 20,000+ points.
And the player on the right tried Kei-ten: yakuless Tenpai and discarded 3s ! Please ignore I made middle-class mistake to discard 4p and lost chance to make this 9,600… (I thought 4p is a little bit safer then, but now I don’t think 6p is such dangerous, and the difference: 1,900 is fairly large)
When we see all the tiles, we can see this was the last 3-6s which can be discarded. So I usually don’t Riichi when
1. Wait is 3-6 or 4-7 (or worse: Kanchan/Penchan)
2. Value of the hand is 5,200/7,700 or higher.
3. Got Tenpai after 9th turn.
By the way, please see the player on the left had Bai-man/SanBai-man hand with these normal discarded tiles ! I never imagined…
I hope this will be of some help to you!
This is my 3rd article on Riichi decision, so please have a look on the links below if you are interested.
1. Riichi Decision 1/ Riichi to proceed the round https://riichi-mahjong.com/2020/01/03/riichi-to-proceed-the-round/
2. Riichi Decision 2 (At South 4) https://riichi-mahjong.com/2020/01/12/mahjong-strategy-riichi-decision-at-south-4/